Aug 9, 2010

Fabric Flower

Start with a rectangle piece of material. The size of the material will depend on size and shape of flower you are making. The pink material is wider, because I am going to make the flower petals round v.s the red flower petals which will be thinner and pointed. The height of the material will determine the size of the flower-small baby flower or large oversize flower.

Take material and fold it in half.

Fold the material one more time in half-the same direction. I then make a crease to mark the middle of the material.

Starting just above the crease mark-cut the material into the desired petal shape. Then do the same below the crease mark. The goal is to cut as close to the middle without actually cutting the middle.

Your material should look this this unfolded. Notice one of the cuts doesn't go all the way to the middle. This will not work, you will need to cut it to look like the other petals.

Now take your needle and thread and do a running stitch through the middle. Pull tight and tie off. I strongly recommend the upholstery thread, regular will typically break.

Play with the petals and arrange in flower form.
Repeat above steps with the second piece of material. I do not recommend folding the two pieces together and cutting, it will not cut nicely.

Once you have adjusted the two flowers place them one on top of the other and sew together in the middle.

Apply fray check to the petals edges and trim when dry. Hot flowers center piece. Many use buttons, I also like the decor brads that are found in the scrap booking section.

7 comments:

The MK Crew said...

Thanks for sharing these! I must still need a little practice because my flowers don't look that perfect! But we were able to make all the little girls flower bows for our family pictures and they looked great! So cute! My favorite part is that you can make it out of scraps you already have.

bell family said...

those are dang cute Martha, I mean allison. What did you put them on? Cna you believe our babies will be one!! Time flies.

The Desiree said...

Impressive tutorial! They are hard I know. As always your flowers are cute. I am glad you did this, because Katie wanted to know how to do them and I couldn't remember where you got them from.

Josh, Lundyn, Quincy and Brylee Stuart said...

Cute Cute Cute! I am definitely going to try this! Thanks for the super fun idea! Hope you guys are doing well! It was so fun so see you at Redfish!

The Cottams said...

Love that you posted this.. Now I just need to become creative like you and do the work!! You are awsome!!

wallymom said...

Thank you! I'm so excited to try this.

jo said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Just in time for the start of school.